Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Mysterious World of Medical Things

I find medical things fascinating. I liked watching ER, Scrubs, House, all those shows because of the setting. I loved house because it was a character-driven mystery, Scrubs I found amusing because, well, it's a comedy, and ER was a bit of a drama. House is my favorite. Yes, I know House is a jerk. That's what makes it interesting. Sherlock Holmes wasn't much of a people person either. Granted, watching House too much will start making you freak out about all the random problems that seemingly surface out of nowhere to people living their normal lives.

But I always thought it'd be fun to work for a doctor's office, like a receptionist or something. Basically, I'm fascinated with the medical world right up to the point where it'd have to be me on the table. I don't want that. And I mean for anything. I could live very happily avoiding doctors offices all together and using Google to find natural ways to do things. Like lower pulse. Fish oil, regular cardio exercise, meditation, cold showers, etc. Aromatherapy for headaches. Whatever. I was raised on a religious exemption from vaccinations and all illnesses were treated by you spending the day on the couch. And not eating if it was a stomach problem. My only trips to the doctor's office was when I managed to slice my knee open and checkups whenever we came back to the states. Once, we went into the doctor's with clogged noses and were all proscribed antibiotics. Which Mom promptly took away from us when we got home. "If you use them for little things like colds, you will grow resistant and they won't be effective for worse sicknesses!" she said. Made sense to me. She got strep throat a few times and nobody would want them to not work for that. Did you know George Washington died because of complications related to strep throat?

So for all of my interest in the medical field... no. Its interesting to go see people who are getting surgery for whatever, but please please don't put me on that bed. And no, I will never be a nurse. I'm not real into touching other people or stabbing them with needles or changing their bedpans or whatever. Yes, nurses provide a valuable service. Props to them.

Why am I thinking about medical things? Well, to go on birth control you need a prescription. To get a prescription, you need a yearly checkup and the occasional pap smear. And because of that lump that I've been ignoring since they told me it was a "fibrous mass" and things like that... yeah, I guess I should go in. So I had the appointment today. When they told me to strip, I didn't take off my jewelry cause I figured I didn't need to. If I'm going to have my legs sticking in the air and my assets bare for the world to see, at least my ankle will look nice. I HATE that part. I'm a very private person. So having no pants and my feet in stirrups and blaaaaah. Also, my gown was too small. Thank goodness I didn't have to leave the room, but I know to ask for a large if I ever get stuck in a hospital for whatever reason.

And then I've got to get an ultrasound again on that persistent lump. So maybe I was supposed to have done this a year ago... but I had to pay out of pocket for the ultrasound I did get and the lump hadn't changed as far as I can tell and I wasn't in any pain or anything... so yeah. Disobeying the doctor's orders! Yeah, I know I know. The doctor today was saying that ultrasounds couldn't really tell you everything you might want to know about intrusive lumps, so maybe a biopsy... It's in a good spot for a needle biopsy, she said. Doesn't that give you the chills? Make your fingers tingle? Let's hope I don't need no creepy large needles poking in sensitive places.

No. Not for me. I'll just be healthy all the time. And maybe rent House.

No comments:

Post a Comment