Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Zombies, Again. Run!

So, you know how I said I was "mostly over" my zombie kick, I dunno, like six months ago? It's kind of resurfacing. Why?

I'm not really sure. I think this time it was because I was running.

For health and fitness reasons, I recently picked up a C25K app. Couch to(2) 5K is basically just a running program that starts with short run-walk intervals and works you up from jogging 60 seconds to jogging 30 minutes in eight weeks. If I hadn't done it myself, I wouldn't think it was possible. But then, when I started, I didn't think jogging 90 seconds was possible, not for me. I'm not inactive, but I'm really not a runner. So I got an app (from Zen Labs, if you want a basic one that works well) and was using that to train and I eventually asked myself, "What's next?" Because even if you can run, if you stop, you'll probably lose a lot of that stamina. The app was three times a week and I didn't miss a day since I started it because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the next day after that. So I have to keep running.

Well, Mom told me about this app before it came out around two years ago. I thought it looked cool, but I run Android and they were making it for iPhone. Here's a trailer from pre-release.



So for whatever reason, I remembered it and looked it up. I found it in the Google Play store, meaning it's Android compatible. It costs a few bucks, but I figure it's my reward for running 5k.

My first run was Monday, and since then I've worked out a few of the features. I play Pandora in the background instead of using a playlist on my phone, the GPS was off, whatever. But I was also being dropped into Abel Township during a zombie apocalypse and my helicopter was shot down by someone and I survived the crash, having to run for the base, and being coerced into making a stop at the hospital to retrieve important documents before they would let me in.

And I couldn't stop thinking about it. Thinking about the story, what was in the CDC documents, who shot at me with a rocket launcher, and how many zombies I would have to evade to keep going. You can activate an interval training mode, which means periodically, you'll get chased and have to increase your speed by 20% for a minute to evade them. I haven't turned that one on yet... I can run 30 minutes, but that doesn't mean I can run any longer or faster.

Also, they have a 5k version. I really wish I would have known and gotten that one instead. I'm halfway considering paying the two bucks and redoing it just to hear that story. Maybe after I slack off this winter.

So today isn't a running day. I'm going to run tomorrow morning. I didn't work out today. I ate too much food and had a really great dinner. My mom was going to go do a quick walk for 30 minutes to get some exercise in and invited me. I declined, saying that I was running tomorrow, although it's mostly the fact that while I can jog, I can't really walk fast. I fairly certain I couldn't keep up with her and fairly certain I'd get shin splints. Walking fast is not my thing. Although running wasn't my thing either.

By the time she drove me home, I was thinking about the zombies, Abel Township, and the mission. It was great weather outside. And I'm like, "Why not?" So I ran.

Don't run on a full stomach. Makes you feel sick. Better than getting eaten by zombies, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment