Monday, October 27, 2014

I can calculate my obsessions.

I think I'm about done with zombies. For this time. My interests tend to go in waves.

Briefly, I'd say my interests follow a few different themes:
Zombies/post-apocalyptic
Magic/Fantasy
Star Wars
Sci-Fi
Steampunk
Paranormal

Anyway, the zombies kick has been on for a while now. Because I'm still running to Zombies, Run! it never gets very far away. What do I do on these kicks? Well, for zombies, I make up post-apocalyptic survival stories, I read prepper and survival advice, I make a lot of zombie references, I read a lot of zombie books (I now have a zombie shelf on my Goodreads), reading post-apocalyptic YA books like Uglies, Divergent, Hunger Games, and I maybe, maybe, talk myself into watching Walking Dead.

As a side note, I started the Walking Dead because my mom said it was a great show. I actually quit after the first episode because of the gore, and I eventually came back and finished the first season. My mom recently quit at the beginning of the third season for the same reason. I don't really know if I can continue after that.

But the other day I had a long shift at work that involved sitting on ground floor during a wedding and making sure nobody left with alcohol. They always advise bringing books. So I finished off one I'd been putting off for a while called Monster Island. Zombie book. And... vivid. I want to tell people some of the scenes so they understand what I mean, but I won't because I don't want to put them through that. If it was a movie, I'd be really scarred. As it is, all that is haunting me is my imagination. So, I'd say it's about time to call it quits on this one.

Where should I go next?

Magic/Fantasy tends to involve Fantasy books, which I've been pretty much avoiding since the end of Wheel of Time. I just don't want to get that involved in a fantasy world for a while. I'm not quite up for re-reading Harry Potter. This section also involves the computer game Dragon Age, and the next one of those is on my Christmas list, so probably won't play until after that, if I get it.

Star Wars involves, obviously, the Star Wars movies, which I'm not quite ready for again. It could also involve the computer game Star Wars: The Old Republic, but I'm not going to play that as long as I'm playing World of Warcraft. I can't handle two games with subscription costs, and WoW is better.

Sci-Fi is a separate section because, for some reason, my sci-fi kicks don't go over to Star Wars, and vice-versa. Sci-Fi tends to involve Firefly, being sad about Firefly, wishing I could play Wildstar, and trying to find good sci-fi to read. I tend to prefer cyberpunk-style, more of the nitty gritty, back-ally deals and black markets and hackers. More Firefly than Star Trek. Wildstar is also a computer game that's a space western and has a great sense of humor and is a really good idea, but not really marketed at me. I think they have a few things to iron out. And the same thing about the subscription fee applies. I could re-read Neuromancer. I don't recommend that book to people because of the sexual references, but it has some of my favorite descriptions of place I've ever encountered. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is also good, for entirely different reasons.

Steampunk, which I tend to define as "Victorian Sci-fi," involves reading Steampunk books (such as the Boneshaker series, the Parasol Protectorate, and the Leviathan series), role-playing with friends, and looking at pictures trying to come up with costume ideas. I should probably attend more events.

Paranormal is basically vampires, werewolves, fae, etc. I tend to like so-called Urban Fantasy, which could probably summed up by the song "Werewolves of London." Paranormal creatures in modern environments. One of my favorite book series is the Mercy Thompson series. Obviously got to be careful with this section, as it can degrade into slutty romances fast. Twilight encourages bad relationships and I read the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series (on TV: True Blood) and I'm not reading any more. Included in this category are obviously things like Anne Rice's Vampire Lestat series and Dracula. Underworld is an entertaining movie, but none of the sequels measure up to it. Not quite ready to re-read all the Mercy Thompson series yet, so I'd have to find something new.

What world am I going to live in?



"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
-Neuromancer, William Gibson

First Chapter (just to see what I'm talking about)

No comments:

Post a Comment