Friday, November 21, 2014

Small Spaces

I mentioned I have a fear of heights. That's pretty normal. Another thing people are often afraid of is small spaces. And I have the opposite of that. I love small spaces.

Forgive me, I'm writing on my phone and I can't type as fast and I have auto correct. So on one hand my sentence construction is stunted and on the other hand I may have totally weird autocorrect.

But what would the love of small spaces be? Claustrophilia? I suppose that depends on whether claustro actually means small spaces or means being confined. Not really into being confined.

I think it comes from growing up in small spaces. I rode on a lot of airplanes, with their cramped seating and tiny bathrooms. I liked the efficiency of a place for everything in those tiny bathrooms, a nook for the toilet paper, a slot for soap. We lived in small apartments at one point, six of us in a three bedroom. I actually dislike large open rooms to some extent. I'd rather read in our small study than in the open living room.

I went spelunking once. I can bravely charge into all sorts of small holes as long as I know I can get back out again. I do remember once when I was a kid and some friends were digging a tunnel in snow. Not my thing. You go in head first and you are face into a blind tunnel, bundled up in thick clothing, unable to turn around, only hope you can wiggle your way backward without space. I don't like that small space.

Basically, I was just pondering this odd trait recently. At CY Stephens, we were setting for a show and a section of portable stage from the show had been set down, and then the roadie discovered we should have shoved some plugs that were running under the stage through a hole in the stage. The roadie was standing there, stymied, and I volunteer, "I can get it." I'm not good at measurements, I don't know how big the space was, but I can tell you that out of a crew of mostly heavy a lifting men, I was one of the skinniest and smallest, and one of maybe two that could fit. The other being the skinny roadie, but he didn't seem eager. I was.

I don't know why, but that is fun.

I remember setting for a big event at Hilton once and me and another girl spent a full day running cables under a stage. My knees ached, but I loved it. I feel special being able to disappear and appear elsewhere.

So maybe I can't be an uprigger. I just need to find where we keep our crawl spaces and volunteer. As long as they aren't filthy I guess. Don't want that stuff in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment