Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Prepped for something

I was watching a TV show where the characters woke up one day in their role-playing computer game. They struggled to do things like they were supposed to be done in the game, using the game system to make food, that turned out completely flavorless. The one of them had a discovery: If you use the ingredients (which tasted normal) and cooked them in the same way you would cook in the real world, had a chef subclass, and had a high enough "cooking level," you could make actual food. The people in the game adapted, and then discovered that they could go further than the game systems allowed, and using their knowledge of the outside real life, they could create things like steam engines in game.

Which makes me think to some extent about prepping. If we were stripped of all modern conveniences, like in a apocalypse, or say you were sent back to the past, how would you fair? You'd be explaining electricity and Internet to the Knights of the Round Table and they'd be like, "Sounds interesting. How do you do that?" And I, personally, would have no idea.

I've mentioned before how we're so separated from the heights of our technology and technical knowledge is very specialized.

Completely off track, but I have a quote I wanted to share:
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

Anyway, I was wondering what I would want to bring to the brave new world as far as skills. At one point I was thinking gardening. Or ham radio. I was browsing through the wiki for the TV show I mentioned (Log Horizon - anime) to see what their "subclasses" included, things like Chef, Scribe, Apprentice.

Then I saw the one I would choose and hit on the thing I would want to contribute to my post-apocalyptic zombie fort: Brewer.

So if I want to keep working on my skills, maybe home brewing is next on the list. Although the kits look kind of expensive. I'll have to do some cost-benefit analysis and shop around.

Although I was reading this book on The History of the World in Six Glasses and according to them, people discovered beer by letting their grain gruel ferment in their caves. So I rather doubt I'd have anything to offer King Arthur if I ended up back in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment