Sunday, March 12, 2017

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...

Don't get me wrong, I love name stickers. I'm horrible with names, which, yes, I recognize is my fault. I could have been born with a mind like a steel trap, but even though I wasn't, I know I could improve my memory, use memory tricks, write names down, or just pay more attention. So I love it when everyone is wearing a name tag and we don't have to try and impress each other with how much we can remember everyone else's name.

I knew a girl once who introduced herself to me every time we met. I knew she knew who I was, and finally, after like the third or fourth time, I'm like, "Yeah, I remember you." She was one of those striking people who stick in your mind, so I actually remembered her name most of the times. But I appreciated the courtesy of "I don't always expect you to remember my name I told you once, so just to remove any awkward pretending, here's my name again."

That said...

Why do these stickers say "Hello, my name is..."?




















Having my name there is nice. Having my stickers introduce me is a little weird. Can I skip introducing myself then?

Maybe the stickers don't go far enough. Why don't I also have a sticker that says, "How are you?" and another with "I am well, thanks for asking," "It was nice meeting you." and finally, "Have a nice day." That way, I can put them all in a column on my shirt and point to them in succession, skipping conversation and small talk entirely. An introvert's dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment