Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Adventures With Hair

I am continuing on my quest of putting seed beads in my hair. Episode Three! Or so. I can't remember how many posts I have on it.

Speaking of Episodes, did you know Disney bought out Star Wars? And are planning Episode 7 for 2015? And Lucas won't be directing it? My first reaction is "don't ruin the thing I love!" but if Episodes 1-3 didn't ruin Star Wars for me, I don't know if Disney will. I just wonder now if they'll stay near the canon (in which case they'll have to find people to play Luke, Leia, and Han Solo... though I can't imagine Han Solo not being Harrison Ford), or if they'll go crazy and branch off and make sequels until they ruin it... hey, Disney has a bad habit of doing that. Classics like Cinderella shouldn't have sequels.

All I'm going to say is they better not wreck it. My childhood was built on Episodes 4-6.

But back to the beads. I went to Main Street in Ames during what I have taken to calling "The Comedy of Errors" which wasn't funny and was about us buying a house. I'll write another post on that some other time. But I'll try to make it funny, for you. So, Main Street when we had some time while in Ames. I had purchased the bag of dubiously colored seed beads at Hobby Lobby and was now looking for a hair place that was willing to try doing something that strange. I'm always rather afraid to walk into a hair salon with my dreadlocks, for fear some overeager hair technician will assume I am here to get them chopped and will come at me wielding a pair of scissors, complete with horror music and snipping sounds.

So I go into a salon and tell them what I want. The lady thinks about it for a second and then sends me on to the generically named "The Salon." "They do trendier things like that," she informs me.

I am now trendy. Or on my way to being trendy.

In search of my trendy brethren, we set off down the street. Have you ever been to Main Street? It is like the hidden sacred grounds of hair salons. I've seen at least six, just in the western part. Odd thing is, I had never been to most of them. I went into the Turning Heads salon twice: once to get a "consultation" which you still have to pay for, and once to get the hair I was consulting about for my wedding. But now that I rarely need a hair salon, I am discovering their secret breeding grounds, or something. I could've gone to a different salon every time, instead of constantly gracing MasterCuts with my presence.

At the Salon, the people there did indeed look "trendy," in the way you expect from hair salons. Generally, everyone has short hair because they can't resist cutting it, and often strange colors or styling. But they style hair for a living, so it makes sense.

They listened to me, looked at that little bit of deviant hair, and looked at my seed beads. It was actually a person in a chair who seemed to be giving the orders, so I assume she was one of the employees, just getting it dyed because she was bored. They had a tool which was just a bent piece of pliable plastic that you'd stick through the thing you wanted to thread and stick the hair in the other side. Like those things you use to thread needles if the licking-it-and-sticking-it method isn't working. Their plastic thing would not fit through my bead, but they assured me they'd find something that would. Even if they just had to buy a wire and jimmy-rig it.

Just in case, I went back to Hobby Lobby to see if I could find anything similar to the seed beads, but with larger holes. Did you know that they have books that will teach you Chinese brush painting? Although, I have to wonder if the Chinese actually sketched things out with a pencil before hand. And if that is an important part of it, why isn't a pencil included in the Chinese brush sets? Maybe they're just trying to save you money. And I didn't find any better beads.

So today, I dropped the beads off at The Salon, and they are going to try finding a wire that works tomorrow. We'll see if we can get this done. Though, one person said it might need to be two strands... that might be a little too trendy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment