Thursday, October 25, 2012

What I learned at Hobby Lobby

And so I return to Hobby Lobby during another day I must be in Ames and have the car, but nothing yet to do. Trying to decide if I want more frogs in my hair is better than nothing.
You know, Hobby Lobby is a weird place. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be a hobby place or a decorating place. Or maybe I can't decide. Or maybe decorating is a hobby.
Anyhow, I returned to those seed beads that failed to consider all their primary colors. This time, I asked someone, "why does this so-called multi color pack not include red?" Her answer was, "it does."
I look again. I am still unable to pick out a red bead.
"See, here's one," she shows me in the corner. I examine said red bead. It still looks orange to me. Maybe a different shade of orange, but orange... ish? I keep staring, letting the power of suggestion work over my senses. By the end, it appears red...ish. Close enough.















To pass more time, I wandered through some of the aisles, looking at crafts (and decorations) that I would probably never buy. Knitting with a loom looks severely complicated. Rubber stamps are out of style. I did find a whole bunch of office bling. As in, things for the office that are covered in colored plastic "gems." Isn't that like an anti craft? If your keyboard already has bling all over it, you don't have to do anything to glam it up. And with that attitude, you might as well drive to Target and just buy a sweater instead of looking at yarn.
The most interest aisle was the science projects for kids. I never had a real ant farm even though they fascinated me. And catching black ants and putting them in a jar only works so long... But basically, kids science stuff is the coolest stuff ever, back when the world of science seemed filled with dinosaurs and carnivorous plants and tigers and explorers. My kids are going to love science. And if they don't, I'll just grow all their crystals for them.
But even the science aisle needs checking. I found a plastic wolf labeled lioness, and even further inspection wouldn't surrender that judgement. Also, if you are going to call them "Real Bug Marbles," you should probably explain that spiny spiders and scorpians, while cool, aren't actually bugs. Knowledge gaps of that kind are the type that will get your child made fun of in school by more enlightened children that also tell your kid, "Your epidermis is showing!"  to watch your kid scramble to figure out what is poking out of where.
Don't let your kids be vulnerable to that sort of cruelty; educate them on bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment