Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lost In The Jungle... of withheld Disney DVDs

So, I was playing World of Warcraft one day as a hunter and decided to tame a tiger to be my pet. I proceeded to name the tiger "Shere Khan" after the tiger in The Jungle Book. Good cartoon, I think we own it.

As I continued question with my companion, ShereKhan (they don't allow spaces in pet names), I kept thinking about it. And I remembered they had a live action The Jungle Book. I only had a vague recollection as I believe I saw it on an airplane and was more stunned by the fact that Westly from A Princess Bride being a bad guy than anything else. That's almost all I remember from the plot. I think there was a girl as well. And, you know, I decided I wanted to see that movie again. Generally referred to as Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, although a review said it wasn't anything like the book. So I checked my library. They only had the cartoon, as far as I can tell.

This weekend, we called Family Video and asked them if they had it. Nope. Must not be popular, I concluded. David has vague recollections as well, and he recalls liking it. Well, let's try Wal-Mart. They have some older movies. Nope. I asked them just to make sure it wasn't hiding on the bottom of a $5 bin.

When I got home, I tried looking it up on Amazon to see how much it would be to order it. They don't actually have it, though I would have been willing to pay the two dollar rent fee for the instant view, if it was available. But the selling price for the non-Amazon sellers was listed as $79.98 new. And $49.95 used. Oh sure, if I wanted a VHS, which I don't even have the equipment to play or the tolerance for the quality, I could pay 20 bucks. But seriously, 80 dollars for a DVD? SERIOUSLY?

Barnes and Noble has it listed at $69.13. Google shopping generally agrees on 80. I am about ready to buy it for $15.60 from the Goodwill Industries in Florida. Except that the service is temporarily unavailable. I hope they didn't charge me... Why is it so ridiculously high priced?

Probably Disney. Doing one of their Disney tricks of not selling DVDs to movies almost two decades old. And then selling a "20 Year Anniversary" edition for the same price as like the Life of Pi or Avengers or something that actually came out recently. So I got about a year or so until that is an option.

Er... so anyone have a copy they can loan me? Sitting in their basement somewhere? Hopefully in DVD format?

Bah. Interlibrary loan, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment