Friday, January 25, 2013

Unconditional Chew Toy, That's What.

Some of the reasons I heard for getting a dog is that they "love you unconditionally." A month in, I have yet to see anything that resembles more affection for me than what she shows her chew toys... and those don't last very long.

Sure, puppies nip. That's what the books say, that's what people say. Unless it relates to me, apparently. Then it's just biting. I go to pet her in some cases her mouth instantly drops open. I thought dogs liked petting? "She just wants to play!" I tried playing with her yesterday. Sat down on the floor and waited for her to come to me. And this time, she went after the crotch of my jeans, my nose, the soft part of my upper arm, went after them mean. I put my hands over my head and she kept trying to bite my face. David came in and found my crying, not because I was hurt, but because I couldn't understand what made the puppy want to hurt me so much. I'm used to her going after fingers or whatnot, but everything else? She hasn't done that to anyone else.

The "dog people" of the world seem to think that cats are above affection, snobbish, and selfish. I'm starting to miss my cat. The only indication that I'm doing something Luna likes is that she isn't trying to bite me. And I'm not even sure about that one... maybe inflicting physical pain is her love language. My cat would chirp when she was happy to see me, come running, and would purr when I pet her. I loved her because she reminded me of me: independent and valuing her space some of the time and coming up for affection and jumping on my keyboard and rubbing against my legs other times.

Luna mostly acts like a cat in the respect that she has her own agenda and wants you to keep it for her. Go inside, go outside, get fed, be played with, be let out of her kennel. I'd think she didn't care about me one way or another except she's obsessed with people. She sees a random stranger and wants to jump all over them. She jumps all over us when we come home (it's cute now... wonder how it will be when she's like 45 pounds). She prefers to be in and sleep in the same room as us. I haven't noticed any particular affection for any of us. She does retreat to people she knows, but is really quick to warm up to new people, provided they don't introduce themselves by chasing her all over the house.

So, a dog with a people obsession and a nipping problem. And she hates Linsey, the person who takes her out multiple times a day, takes her on walks, feeds her, buys her toys, etc. Or maybe she loves me. Loves me like the scattered pieces of every single toy I've bought her.

If this is unconditional love, I think I'd be better off being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment