Monday, February 18, 2013

The Job Nemesis

I have a job interview tomorrow. Now the best part about them saying, "can you come in tomorrow?" is that I only have one day to freak out about it. Granted, if it was a week, I'd probably try not to think about it until like a day or two before. Procrastination isn't just a habit, it's a way of life!

Now, the nice thing about this is I already met the guy, so he already knows I have dreadlocks. I'm not really sure I've ever been discriminated against because of my dreads, because a lot of applications never get farther than the "assessment" stage. I have been offered jobs at least three times after interviews where my dreads were present, and rejected once... but my hair might not have been the contributing factor.

I hate assessments. It's trying to be a pre-interview to weed out the trash, but if anyone admits to actually stealing office supplies on those, I'm sure there would be blatant red flags elsewhere. Now, there are like three types of assessments and I think they're all tricky.

One, the one I've seen the most often, asks you things like if you think employees should be on time or steal office supplies and has you agree, disagree, or strongly do those things. The tricky part is that sometimes they ask you really similar versions of the same question and are probably checking to see if you are consistent.

Second kind I've encountered maybe twice. It is like math problems. They give you a set of rules, like accounts with under 1000 in them are filed in the A drawer, over 1000 in the B, etc. Then they ask you a bunch of questions about specific examples and where you'd file them based on the rules. Those are fairly easy as it pretty much gives you the answer. However, the trick is that they are timed and you want to be able to take your time because sometimes the rules get a little complex. Probably a comprehension examination of sorts.

And last and most annoying is the third type I've encountered. Probably the reason I'm not working at BAM! right now. This type gives you scenarios in the work situation and asks you how you'd respond, giving you several not necessarily wrong answers. If a customer came up to you and complained about their service, would you apologize or give them a discount or tell them to go back to the person they recieced the service from or get a manager or try to fix their problem for them? Well, I'd do whatever store policy is, that's what. But that isn't an option. At Panera, if someone had a complaint, you get a manager. We weren't supposed to give discounts on our own. And then the manager could deal with it as they see fit, which, depending on the severity of the problem might range from apologies to giving bagles to them until they go away. But what would BAM! want me to do? Would they rather I be a problem solver instead of get a manager? Am I allowed to offer discounts, or is that a no-no? Who knows? Apparently not me.

Jared Van Cleave is our real estate agent, and the job is basically a social-media coordinator and designer to some extent. He's also my dad's real estate agent (and my dad is in to owning real estate) and goes to my church. So I've met him and interacted with him and he saw me cry on the table at the lawyer's office when the house deal didn't go through the first time and he's still giving me an interview. Does that make him part of the extended family? Mom says to tell him I have a brain like my father. I'm not really sure how I'd work that one in. Oh, by the way, I tend to be like my dad in thought patterns and priorities? I feel the necessity to catagorize things according to said priorities and then potentially make fun of them with a dry sense of humor? I have the genetic potential to become a world renown smart person?

Well, I just spent the last half hour stalking my potential employer. Hey, they recommend trying to get information on them before the interview... really... stop looking at me like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment