Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Not Again

I have a blog post I've been ruminating on. More of a rant, but what's new? But today, I'm feeling rather sobered. Check the date, it's the day after the Boston marathon bombing. Tragic. Horrifying. And one of those things you would used to hear about and think, "I can't believe this is happening." Except now we think, "oh no, not again." Like the shootings in public places and 9/11 attacks, the world America seems to be going quickly downhill. I say that because there has been violence all over the world, but the only events that stay with us happen in our own country.

Now, I know everyone is coming up with their own theory of who's done it and why, but there are a few things that I can't stop thinking about. One, I doubt it was North Korea, although some have decided to try and sling it that way. They have nukes, why would they bother with trashcan bombs? Two, for a race that had 27,000 people at it, we had markedly few causalities. I can't begin to figure out what that means, but it's something I keep thinking about. And three... it wasn't people with guns. So what civil liberties are we going to lose as the government pushes back violently in the opposite direction? The people will demand retribution, demand something be done. Back in the day, they would just go after the ones who did it, and I'm sure they will now. But these days, we're trying to pad every wall so that nothing bad can ever happen again.

Does it often seem like a reasonable response? Usually in the time of crisis. But what can we outlaw in this case? Bombs? Those can be made easily. Trashcans? Something else will be used to hide it next time. Marathons? Any other large gathering can be a target. Bad people? They are already outlawed.

I hope that when the smoke clears, people can still continue to live. Life has never been without risks, and we can never entirely eliminate them.

That being said, I am mad/upset that it happened. I hope they catch the guy and make the bastard pay, because that is the job of the government.

Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Rom 12:19b) But I cannot help but wish sometimes God had made me the instrument of His wrath, a super hero of sorts upholding justice, especially when the courts and law do not or can not.

No comments:

Post a Comment