Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Gloucester

Yesterday, we went to a little seaside tourist town called Gloucester. It was cute, though half the shops are closed during the week during the winter. It was lovely. The narrow little alleys and old houses, with the view in between out to open water reminds me of Istanbul, along with the smell and sound of the sea.

It was very pretty and a lot of fun. I love hopping on rocks and ran out along a spit sticking out into the water. Good exercise. I love the ocean. We shopped a bit as well. I guess that's quite the tourist place during the summer.

Now, last time I was out here, I was with David. This is his family. And we watched family videos where David was thirteen, giving his goofy little David smile. I was starting to miss him a lot. He was still at his job site, so I talked to him and tried to convince him to come straight here. He'd be able to drive back with us. He told me it was going to be too expensive, and wouldn't be able to get much back for the ticket he had for Des Moines.

He wouldn't answer my texts all the next day, making me kind of hopeful, but still didn't think much of it. I figured it was more hope than logic, and confided as much to Jessica.

So we were walking up the street back to the car and I was daydreaming. Actually thinking about how David might sneak in and where he'd be if he did. And as I was walking along, I finally look up and there in between two signs I see a pair of familiar blue eyes all crinkled up in a smile. I ran around the signs yelling and there he was with meme and papa. What a great guy.





1 comment: