Thursday, November 14, 2013

Freedom of Jeans

I think there is unjust discrimination against jeans. Where I work now calls for business casual, that being, not jeans. So, I have a pair of black pants and a pair of khaki pants and I hate them. They're straight-legged and formal-looking and... well, I dislike khaki. It's like daring me to spill something.

And work had this really smart idea to market a United Way campaign called "Dollars For Denim." Basically, you buy their $35 pin or their $45 shirt, you get to wear them with suitable "denim" on Fridays in October, November, December. So we're forking over money for the privilege of casual Friday. And that shirt is so worth it for the happiness I get from wearing jeans every Friday. Unfortunately, it's already halfway through November.

David's job has an office party, which declares "Business casual (no jeans)." I'm miffed. I normally wouldn't bother to change clothes after work, but I hate wearing non-jean pants so much that I do change, especially if I have another reason to leave the house.

I think jeans can be sharp. I think jeans can be classy. And they fit me better than stupid khakis. Well, they did. Now my jeans are a little baggy. But while I love jeans, I hate jean shopping. Or pants shopping, really.

But anyway.

Why this arbitrary jean hatred? Why are they considered so informal when they are the pant choice for a majority of Americans in a majority of situations?

In fact, I think most of current fashion guidelines are arbitrary. Why do we think suits are the only option for males in politics? Why do we think skirt suits look good? People say a guy in a tux is hot... I think a guy in jeans is hot.

Maybe I should have been country. 'Cept I don't like the bling.

And I think the people running for president should wear jeans. I hate suits.

Do you not know the honored history of jeans and Levi Strauss?

From Wikipedia:
A young man named Levi Strauss emigrated in 1851 from Germany to New York to be with his older brothers, who ran a dry goods store. In 1853 he moved to San Francisco to establish his own dry goods business.
In 1872, Jacob Davis, a tailor who frequently purchased bolts of cloth from the Levi Strauss & Co. wholesale house, wrote to Levi asking to partner with him to patent and sell clothing reinforced with rivets. Davis' idea was to use copper rivets to reinforce the points of stress, such as on the pocket corners and at the bottom of the button fly. After Levi accepted Davis's offer, the two men received U.S. Patent 139,121, for an "Improvement in Fastening Pocket-Openings," on May 20, 1873. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans]

American history, right there. And jeans just look better on everyone.


What about hats? Used to be you couldn't go outside without a hat. Now you can't wear them for business casual. And fedoras even look classy.


If I ever became a dictator, my first act would be to declare jeans as valid for business casual. Viva la revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment