Thursday, March 24, 2016

Ouch

I'm afraid I may actually have to stop jogging.

The part that keeps me up is the question, "If I had jogged more often during the winter, would I be in better shape and able to jog now?"

Currently, I am insanely out of shape. Or something. Last year, I didn't jog much during the winter (rule is it has to be at least 40 degrees or jogging is just no fun), and I started jogging again in the spring and surprised myself with how easy it was. Oh, I was still out of shape, but I thought I'd have to start from near-scratch and I was able to go 5k right away.

Maybe I also just expected myself to be able to do that again this year, but I basically did the same thing over the winter. I jogged until decently late last year, and then it got cold and I would go a full month without jogging. I tried to pick it up again this spring. Oh, I can still go a half hour without stopping, but it is a slow pace and I feel like I'm fighting my body the whole way.

Mental fortitude.

I know the ability to jog doesn't take that long to lose and I wanted to keep doing it because it's really good for stamina and someone mentioned once that might be helpful for childbirth.

Anyway, it seemed to be getting harder or more uncomfortable every time I jogged, which seems like the opposite of getting in shape. It could be because I am getting further in the pregnancy as time goes on, but the medical people said I could jog until it was uncomfortable and I figured running is uncomfortable, so I ignored it. I wanted to be one of those people who jogged all the way to the end, so this kind of breaks my heart.

I went out jogging on Tuesday and it was hard, as usual, but whatever. Around twenty minutes in, I had to detour back to the house. I noticed then that the tendons at the tops of both legs hurt. A lot. But I only had like seven minutes left on my Zombies, Run! mission, so I went back out and finished it.

I about cried during my cooldown walk. I was literally talking to myself, trying to motivate myself to get across the kitchen, telling myself, "You can do this." I don't know how I made it to work later. I know I was mentally singing the song from Santa Claus is Coming to Town that goes, "Put one foot in front of the other... and soon you'll be walking across the floor..." I caved and asked David to pick me up because I was having trouble coping with going across the office, much less walking all the way home. I did manage to limp all the way out to the car. I couldn't walk normal, or even fake it, I was in so much pain. It was quite possibly the most sustained pain I have ever been through. Obviously, hitting your head on something sharp can probably hurt more, but that usually fades pretty quick.

I've never broken a bone, thank God, so I can't compare.

Now, a few days later, I still can't really walk normal, but much of the pain has gone away. My brother said it was my hip flexor, and hip pain is pretty common during pregnancy. But what I really can't get is that this happened from just running. I was jogging. That's all. I've done it before, many a time. I think I went jogging last week.

A nurse told me that the third trimester tends to be when your body gives you muscle and tendon relaxants to allow the hips to spread in preparation for childbirth and it could be the addition of that stuff is what caused my normally fine-but-slow runs to all of a sudden contain a time-bomb of pain.

Maybe I could jog fifteen minutes? Or maybe, if the potential recovery time is going to be in days, it simply isn't worth the risk anymore.

My mental fortitude is crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment