Sunday, December 18, 2011

Not so informative results

So, still no news as to what the mysterious lump may be. I had a doctor's appointment that confirmed there in fact was a lump. Maybe that was to prove I wasn't crazy or a hypochondriac. They then assigned me to get an ultrasound the next day. I even got an official doctor's note and everything. So I got that done and should get results from that on Monday.</p>
<p>Now, I don't actually know what those results will be able to tell me. The doctor said something about discovering the consistency of the lump and I guess they'll choose what they need to do from there.</p>
<p>What I do know is that this is going to be kind of rough on work. I had not said anything about it to my boss, but I had to get off an hour early to get the ultrasound done. It was as quick of a turnaround as we could get. Apparently, these things should done pretty soon. She takes the note, which just says I need to be excused for a "crucial appointment." Without even asking why, she looks at me and asks, "Couldn't you have done this some other time?" Well, I might just be in danger of cancer and death and my life depends on getting a fairly quick turnaround of diagnosis, but you're right, I should postpone my appointment so I can take that extra hour and make sure there are tomatoes on the salad line.</p>
<p>I don't normally actually let my sarcasm out to play in situations like this, so I quickly explained the situation and added that, like a good employee, had called in yesterday and let a manager know what was happening and he was fine with it. Without another word, no sympathy or "I hope everything is all right" that you might expect from normal feeling people, even strangers that you don't know, she took the note and went (stalked) back to the office.</p>
<p>Okay, well, I followed policy, so whatever. Later she comes out and asks, "what manager did you talk to yesterday?" What are you going to do? Chastise them for letting me off? Maybe next time they'll have to get some begging? Make me find a replacement for an afternoon hour? Maybe manage to head me off BEFORE I get the note so when I ask to get off, she can cackle maniacally and deny my request.</p>
<p>Now, I don't think I have cancer and I'm sure I'll be fine, but if I do end up getting cancer, I am so quitting. Not only will I probably feel like crap, but when I'd have to get off for stuff like radiation, I don't want to encounter, "Well, couldn't you have done this some other time?"</p>

No comments:

Post a Comment