Sunday, August 25, 2013

Goodreads and Mistaken Identity

I must apologize. I did not know.

Apparently, that link on the side of my blog I had labeled "Goodreads" did not go to my Goodreads page; it went to the page of someone else named Linsey.

Apparently, my brother clicked over from my blog and was astounded by the content of my Goodreads page. "Linsey read the 50 Shades of Grey series?" he asked Mom. Mom did not think so, but confronted by evidence like a Goodreads page in my name was not sure.

Andrew told me I had read 50 Shades of Grey, as evidenced by my Goodreads page. I denied it and asked, "Are we even friends on Goodreads?" He laughs, says no, and I think it's a joke. My cousin Tyler says, "Really, I thought that was the sort of thing you'd be in to?" Apparently, my cousin and I are not close.

Later, Mom asks me if I've read 50 Shades of Grey. I deny it again. "It's on your Goodreads," she says. "Andrew found it. It says you gave them five stars." I get out my phone app and go through all 122 books I've bothered adding to Goodreads. No 50 Shades of Grey. "They aren't here," I tell her.

She pulls up my blog, clicks the link, and it goes to a page under the name of Linsey. There is no photo. And even though the spelling is the same, I have not read a single book under the "Read" list. "This isn't me," I tell her, also noting the lists have a different number of books on them than my lists.

But it links from my blog. Odd, that.

I have not read 50 Shades of Grey. I actually first heard of the book on Goodreads where a friend (read: someone I might have never actually met) had ranked it five stars. I was interested in good books, so I clicked on the link to read reviews. People had it recommended for people who enjoy "erotica." Wait a minute, I thought. I don't enjoy erotica. If the book has sex, I'd rather it fade to black in an insinuating manner. If it starts listing the name of parts, I'm done. I read the first Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) book. I finished it and resolved to not read another. I only read reviews on 50 Shades of Grey... mostly to be able to make fun of it better. Not only is it "erotica," but it is supposedly poorly written. And I cannot forgive that either. You defend it on claims that somehow erotica is a good thing? I attack on the Grammar Police front! Defend against that!

But no, I have not read it. I have no desire to read it. Unless to make fun of it in better detail. But from what I've heard of it, it's not even worth that.

I think I fixed my link now. You can tell it's me if I have a picture of me. The other Linsey didn't have a picture at all. Also, I have a decent amount of Steampunk books on my list. My favorite books include Neromancer, Calvin and Hobbes, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Chronicles of Narnia, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've read Star Wars books. And Steampunk books. And Fantasy books. Not erotica books.

It's also a shame because I stopped book reviews on my blog because Goodreads was a better platform for them. I haven't done a whole lot recently, but the book "In, but Not Of," was one of my most recent.

Really weird thing is that I test all my links. So if I was being consistent Linsey, I would have tested it back when I added it. And the idea that it links to another Linsey that I do not know seems suspect. Sad that someone sharing my name could have such a poor taste in books.

Link should work now. Please, let me know if it doesn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment