Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Planning for kids (not the useful kind)

It is somewhat inevitable that I consider children at this point, even though I can't say assuredly I have decided I'm going to have them yet. Probably. But to all those people who keep asking, I'm still scared and David says another one to two years, when he's had a chance to finish the bathroom and save up a little money.

Don't tell me it doesn't always go according to plan. I know that. But that's not a good reason to not make plans, it's just a good reason to not have a death grip on a plan. But I digress.

Actually, I digress frequently. Have you ever had a conversation with me? I try and keep things efficient, but then I get off on these tangents...

Right then. The reasons I keep thinking about kids, despite my current desire to remain unencumbered (at least until after snowboard this winter vacation), are as follows. 1) The puppy. It gave me a brief glimpse into what it was like to care for another being entirely helpless. Though you know the puppy didn't work out (and that might say something about my maternal instincts), I was struck by the facts that while a puppy was always going to be a dog and pet, having a baby would be a far more worthwhile endeavor. And involve less biting, I hope. 2) My pregnancy scare. No, read that right. It was a scare, I AM NOT PREGNANT. Basically, after I got back from Boston, a combination of sickness and a weird reaction to my vitamins produced a morning-sickness-like effect. Enough that I actually bought a test. 3) As David and I are both the oldest and most married of both of our families (step not included), we are getting a lot of pressure to start producing the grandbabies, nieces, whatever, ranging from people being like "It's your calling in life!" to "I want a baby and I want it now!" 4) I volunteer at Informed Choices and with the number of pregnant women, baby paraphernalia and general subject matter, it's really quite impossible to not think about it.

So what are my plans? Well, unofficially, I know I will do a ton of research as that is my tendency. You have no idea how many things I learned about dogs. But as I will have around nine months to think about it, I'm putting it off for now. No need to go crazy. Also, I'll have nine months to come up with good arguments about what we should name our baby (not David Matthew Gravlin III), circumcision, and vaccination (preferably to not do either of those things).

David, if you are reading this, know my not talking about it isn't an admission of defeat. Just you wait.

But down to the real part of my planning. I am a geek. Not a serious solid I-know-every-Jedi-on-the-council geek, but I happen to love Star Wars and computer games.

And as Star Wars happened to be a staple of my childhood (I think I had more lightsaber and force games than standard war and guns), I am planning on it being a staple of my kids' childhood. And why not? It's hanging on pretty well for being such an old concept.

But what you should consider is the vast amount of awesome Star Wars themed kids stuff.

I present a bookshelf.













That, if you don't know, is an AT-AT, featured at the beginning of Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back. I recall a specific instance when a hill with a curving branch in front of it became an AT-AT cockpit for me and my siblings and friends. This could double as a doll house!

How about kids books?














Tell me those aren't cute.

How about an alphabet?












I think it's based on the animated web series, which I haven't watched since it was clearly made for children. But if Q stands for Quinlan Vos, who is not really present in any of the live action movies, that's my guess.

Seriously though, if my kids aren't geeks, I'm doing something wrong. It's too bad I quit World of Warcraft, cause from what I hear, you can get them to farm resources from a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment