Tuesday, April 26, 2016

PSA: Instagram

Public Service Announcement: I started an Instagram account.

Ok, so you don't care. But I feel that I should explain my reasoning.

My reasoning: Baby photos.

Doesn't really sound like me, does it? So I have friends (or at least "friends") on Facebook who have babies, and I actually really enjoy watching them grow and seeing cute pictures. I probably started enjoying that, oh, about the time my pregnancy test came back positive. Otherwise, I don't think I cared. I don't remember, apparently I was a different person then.

I tell you, being pregnant changes your brain. I would say "in a good way," but being pregnant, I'm also not sure I'm qualified to comment on that. I just started an Instagram account, for pity's sake.

Anyway, I want to have photos of my baby and have that sort of record, but we are in the digital age, so probably not the traditional photo album. That's a lot of work, what with taking the photos, editing, printing (ink costs!), and then actual cutting and arranging. Let's be honest: I'm not going to do it. Back in my parent's day, they developed film and the like. You could see the progression in effort as well. Firstborn had the biggest photo album, second was slightly smaller, third, smaller, fourth, smaller yet.

So digital. I can't promise the albums will all be consistently sized as I am not much of a photographer, but I do have a cell phone camera. And now an Instagram account.

Anyway, as far as digital goes, I discovered I really didn't want to share all that on Facebook. I know most of the people I'm "friends" with, but that doesn't really mean they're the type I really want to bombard with baby photos. Watch those few plead in vain for "belly pics." I don't do that.

And privacy. Some level of security. The Internet can be a scary place.

So a private Instagram account. Where I can choose my followers and have a digital chronological record of the pictures I take and post. Apparently, there is still some effort involved, but I am trying to do better about creating records and I am preparing myself for a stage of life where time passage is inconsistent and memory is tricky. Best I start recording things.

So friend me, or follow me, or whatever the terminology is for Instagram. I might approve you, if I know you.

Or I'll completely forget. Scrapbooking isn't really my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment