Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Tropical Smoothie Cafe

Let me let you in on my most recent addiction:

Tropical Smoothie Cafe

They cropped up on Lincoln Way right next to a laundromat, surrounded by cheap restaurants that I normally do not patronize. It's like the greasy part of Ames' food market with a Culver's, Little Caesars, Taco Johns, Dairy Queen, KFC, Burger King. The nice restaurants are either on Duff or elsewhere, but few in this area. There was a Long John Silver's, but that went out of business. Me and Ames KFC don't talk. I mean, the last time I went to a KFC in Ames, it was the one up at North Grand (long out of business) and the experience was bad enough I never went back. I only go to KFCs on road trips, outside of Ames. Anyway, you want good fried chicken, you can go to Pizza Ranch and also get pizza and cactus bread.

So I wasn't sure about some smoothie place. I mean, we had a Coldstone and an Orange Leaf. But I noticed because it was right there on Lincoln Way and the logo was eye-catching, bright and trendy on an otherwise greasy street.

And then I started hearing about it. Apparently they had food. And the Assistant City Manager said that he introduced his wife to it and now they might have to take out a loan to support their food habit.

So I went once with David, his brother, and his brother's girlfriend. It was bright and cheerful on the inside as well, despite the fact they're right on Lincoln Way, I don't really notice on the inside. And they have food. You don't really know from the name, but they do have it and I thought it was pretty good, things fresh like tacos, salads, sandwiches, flatbreads, wraps. I got a half-a-sandwich-half-a-smoothie combo, which seems a good way to go. You can also add a smoothie on to a meal for three dollars (normally five).

They have so many types of smoothies, and a bunch of supplements you can add, things like vitamin c, immune complex, probiotics, protein. They have a smoothie happy hour, 7am to 9am if you like smoothies for breakfast, it's 50% off.

I thought it was charming the first time, but not anything to write home about.

It's within walking distance of City Hall. And for some reason I went back. And it started to grow on me. I wanted to take my mom, it's the type of place I figured she'd like. The food isn't greasy or heavy, the atmosphere is upbeat and bright. Being there makes me think of spring (seeing as how we just got to the end of winter. Hopefully). They play Bob Marley music. The food and smoothies are really fast.

I always get the flatbread Baja Chicken (hold the peppers) and add on the Avocolado smoothie. I love this meal.

Mom wonders how anyone can drink a 24oz smoothie by themselves. We usually split when she's there. Well... maybe I'm just Superwoman.

At my birth class group, Tropical Smoothie Cafe was brought up, and the instructor was enthusiastic to say the least. She had cards for their text club, which I hadn't joined yet because I figured it would only make it more tempting.

I was right. I joined the text club and instantly got a coupon for one smoothie at $1.99 for a 24oz, expiring the next day. That's 60% off!

I took a break that afternoon. The Avocolado smoothie is avocado, lime, coconut, spinach & kale, and pineapple. I was suspicious at first, since avocados are suspicious, but it tastes amazing. And I like to think that I'm getting my baby healthy things, like coconut, omega 3s and healthy fats, iron and greens. It just happens to also come in a tasty tasty green package.

Have I said enough on how much I love this place? What am I going to do when I don't have a job?

No comments:

Post a Comment