Friday, March 9, 2012

Cheese for Thought

Yesterday, my mother-in-law and two of my sisters-in-law were in town, so David and I went shopping with them, went out to supper, and visited their psychologist. I guess Michelle and Melissa had some joint session going on. I sat out in the waiting room and read Psychology Today, which was actually quite interesting. Did you know cheese is healthy? I mean, MORE healthy than you thought? I resolve to eat more cheese.

But I would like to say that I approve of psychology and visits to psychologists. I think it can be quite healthy (although I'd probably go for a Christian one. Not sure if theirs was or not). I know people who have had issues, problems with their parents, things that scarred them, and I think these people could benefit from a psychologist. Someone who can see the problem, identify the problem, and give them steps to take to get out of the problem. Someone who will speak straight with you. So bravo on everyone going to psychologists for taking the first step to reorienting your thinking.

That all said, I have no intention of going to a psychologist. I generally like to say, "I'm not quite that messed up." As in, I don't think I'm crazy enough for a shrink, but it isn't quite that. Because I know you'd be like, "Denial! People don't always know when they need a shrink!" For me, it is a balancing of my perception of how messed up I may be compared to the time and money involved with visiting a psychologist just because it may be healthy. For example, I haven't been to the dentist in years. I really want to go to the dentist because I like my teeth. But as I have no detectable cavities or tooth pain and I brush twice a day, I assume that I might be doing ok and think, maybe I don't need to go to the dentist just yet. I can put it off until we have a steady income again. Hmm... I should floss, too, if I'm going to have that attitude.

So basically, I don't think I need a psychologist quite yet. If I had something traumatic happen to me (and I don't even want to say the thing I just thought of), I might maybe think about going. And if I had a good friend or family member say, "Linsey, we know this even really hurt you, and I just don't think you're getting over it. It will help if you go to a psychologist and talk about it..." then I'd be even more inclined. I don't get go to the doctor unless I'm scared I might die of cancer either. Just too expensive.

All that said, I think you can find healing in the Bible and with God. Not that I'm doing that "shame on you for going to a psychologist or taking anti-depressant because God fixes everything." Sometimes those are the things you need to do. Just saying, short of paid therapy, I think that God can often help on things you are struggling with. It may be a bit more of an indirect route, as you need His help to figure out your problem and He isn't always as forward as a psychologist, but you can find healing there.

And that is my... let me check for inflation... 50 cents worth. Well, let's round up to $1.25 and I can get a Dr Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment