Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Killing Me Softly

It is now day... two and a half?...of David being home. And let me say, he'd better find a job soon because I will go crazy.

I had previously quit to work at home, and recently I've been doing a decent job of writing every day. When I'm alone, I can hit that state of mind, the state of focus, that allows me to enter my alternate worlds. Sure, I'll play a computer game for half an hour, or check my social media mix, or spend a while on Wikipedia.org and other sites trying to puzzle out telegrams or some other turn of the 19th century technology. But because it is all quiet and I am alone, I can hit that sweet spot of focus, more often. And if I remain in that spot, I can keep going a bit even after he comes home.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know he is well-meaning, and he wants to work to get a new job. But it is almost impossible for me to focus when he is calling relatives, working on something related to his old job, asking my opinion, asking if I want to play a League of Legends game, outlining his plans (for he thinks out loud), asking if I want to go on a walk, go pick up something, go to HyVee, watch an episode of whatever show, read over my shoulder (nothing is more irritating than that, even if I don't mind they read it later)... All well-meaning... all making it so I have absolutely no way to focus.

Well, I've been planning escapes recently. I still have a laptop (because even though I can type five paragraph essays on my blog on my phone, it doesn't work as well for writing, with formatting and dialogue and all that. I have the app for it, but that will be a "I'm on vacation and randomly inspired" situation.

Let's hope he gets a job soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment