Friday, January 6, 2012

Jab, Jab

As mentioned very briefly before, I want to take up boxing in some form. I actually got boxing gloves for Christmas, and I already had bag gloves, so I have at least the tools. From a complete stranger at Anytime Fitness, I got the basics of a bag workout. Now, I am not really sure what to do. My arms are out of shape and so quite sore after Wednesday's and today's workout, and I don't know much, but I can kind of tell a few things I am going to have to work on.

1) I need to be faster. Faster at jabs, much faster at power punches (what good are they if you can see them all coming?), and much faster at getting my gloves back in front of my face. I'm guessing getting my gloves back will become more of an instinct after I actually fight someone and realize first hand that slowness will equal a punch in the face.

2) I need to work on my stance. Stance needs to be solid with jabs, and hips rotating with the power punch. Also I probably move my feet sometimes when I shouldn't. I know some people dance around while boxing, but this moving my feet seems more like I'm trying to get movement to help my punch and it is just going to upset my stance. I think.

3) I need to punch right. On a bag, sometimes I forget to aim because it is all just hitting a bag. On a person, you have to aim for their nose or chin or whatever. On the bag, I need to aim for the Everlast logo. I also have a harder time making sure my uppercut punches hit. Partially, because the bag is smooth. Nothing really to hit on an uppercut. Also note, I need to balance my jab flurries so that when I power punch at the end, my last jab is the opposite hand. As in, right, left, right, left, power punch with right. If I end with a right, then the left is just dinking around and the right hand has to come back and go forward again.

And this is just from one lesson and what I am guessing about. I'll probably have to find Josh, the trainer, at some point and be like, "Ok, this is what I know, can you fix it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment