Sunday, January 22, 2012

Linsey Wins!

Tremble, world, for I now have an elected position. I am one of two members from my precinct in the Polk County Central Committee. It happened rather quickly and started with me yelling, "Hey!" out of the corner of the room.

Basically, at my caucus on January 3rd, I believe it was, they were conducting business while counting the votes (Ron Paul won) and one of the first things they asked for was volunteers to be on this committee. Silence.

"OK, then we will have zero seats on the committee..."

"Hey!" I was in the corner of the room, trying not to take up a chair in the already crowded place. "What does that mean?"

"I second that girl!"

So I crawled out of my corner in my sweatshirt and stocking cap, saying something along the lines of, "sure, I've got spare time." And I was voted in.

Afterward, some people told me it was partially because I stepped forward that we filled all the other positions, that other people started interacting. However, it rather makes me glad that we are not a democracy on the national level. There is way too much voting just to vote, people voting on things with no knowledge of them. They only thing they knew about me was that I spoke up. Maybe that is the quality they are looking for.

But all political musings aside, I am now an elected member of a committee. I need to go to a meeting every fourth Tuesday of the month. I have a two year term. I'm a little excited. This could be like my first step into a political career. And to be honest, that sounds fun. Now I just need someone to offer me a position writing a weekly political column and I should be set. Writing my opinion is a hobby. Be great if I could get paid for it.

On the downside, I might not be able to put dreads in my hair when it gets long enough. Elected members of committees don't have dreads. Maybe I could change that. I am the Millennial Generation. I think I could change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment