Monday, July 22, 2013

RAGBRAI: Day 2

Just a note to start the day. I should have taken better care with my sleeping arrangements. Oh, don't get me wrong, the mat is great. The sketchiest part of this whole thing was a thin, self-inflating foam mat. It's pretty comfortable. I thought that in the middle of July, all I'd need was a sheet, mostly just to cover the mat. Two mornings now I've woken with every inch of the sheet wrapped around me like a small cocoon. I did bring a sweatshirt which I end up wearing. And to keep noise and stuff out, I put a towel over my head, which also contributes to attempting to keep me warm. I don't know where I would have put  sleeping bag or anything else, but the only thing worse than trying go sleep sticky from either sweat or bug spray is trying to sleep cold.

As I write this, I am experiencing a monsoon. My tent is caving in like someone is sitting on it. The tarp part is snapping in the wind like a cap gun. And even though all the pieces are on, I'm still getting wet. I've taken to wearing my towel as the tent dances and spatters rain at me. Good thing all my luggage is packed in the appropriate plastic bag.

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait it out while blogging. My sleeping mat is wet anyway.

This morning started off damp too. Everything was covered with dew and mist. It was actually pretty amazing starting off and looking at the hills covered and bikers disappearing into the distance.

Later it got hot. And long. And difficult. But I made it.

Apparently this tent was only made for vertical rain.

Not much for photos. I was concentrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment