Friday, December 14, 2012

With Great Puppies Comes Great Responsibility

So, David is getting me a Siberian husky puppy for Christmas. And I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with me.

I'm freaking out, really freaking out. We're bringing her home tonight and I'm worrying that the cage is too big for her, the backyard is unfenced if she tries to make a break during a potty break, housetraining, where she will be during Christmas with the family, etc. I'm getting an adorable puppy and all I can do is be like, "That will take all morning away. Will the puppy be okay without me for that long?"

I keep trying to reassure myself: other people have pets and can still live somewhat normal lives. Do they all have to come back to the house multiple times a day to let the puppy out?

Part of it is that I'm really scared about it inhibiting my ability to do things. All of a sudden, I have to worry about where the puppy is going to be and who is taking care of the puppy. Will she be okay when I go on that spring break trip? If David stays home, is coming back at lunch enough time to take care of her? Huskies love to run... what if she makes a dash for it during a potty break? How will we get her back? She doesn't know us yet.

And part of it is that I am worried about doing it wrong. What if I don't train her just right? What if I don't socialize with her just right? What if she doesn't love me? Will she feel abandoned or betrayed? Try to run away? Get picked up by animal shelter selling drugs to other dogs?

I have to wonder if I've got some deep-rooted issues. If I am freaking out this much about a dog, what will I do with the kids everyone keeps pressuring me to have? David is starting to act like getting a dog is some sort of training for me, a beginning step. I've read like five websites, browsed several books, asked questions, discussed issues, tried to think out every problem I could handle... and I'm still scared spitless.

By the way, we're thinking either Luna or Echo for a name.


No comments:

Post a Comment